Search This Blog

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Serious Camping...Seriously? (Fourth of July weekend 2010)

(Scott): Well, this is the first time I've ever blogged or even thought about blogging...thanks Betsy.  First, I would like to point out that Betsy has introduced me to several great things and activities and has made all of them, and the thought of them, pleasurable; even things/activities that I once maybe thought were not so delightful.  So I do sincerely thank her.  On with the camping...

I can't exactly remember the last time I went camping.  People who know me know that it is not something I ever thought I would enjoy and know that being 'outdoorsy' is not my forte.  However, I wanted to give it a try with someone I care about and someone who has not camped much herself so off we went.  We knew we would have to partake in this activity with experienced campers as we had no clue what to bring or where to go...thanks Lauren, Will and Lauren's family.  Betsy and I had no idea what to expect, and when we arrived at our meeting point, I knew this was something I couldn't have faced alone.  The truck we were traveling in, big truck by the way, was as full as it could be.  I thought one could camp with a few clothes, a tent, chips and some marshmellows.  Apparently, in addition to those items, you need several coolers, a refridgerator, pillows, blankets, chairs, air mattresses, radio, mini grill and a few things from each aisle at Wal-Mart.  Betsy and I were in awe of everything at this point, and we were still hours away from actually camping at Lake Nolan in Kentucky. 

Once we arrived, I felt completely worthless...didn't know what to do, where to stand or what to say.  Lauren and Will took charge, and we helped as much as we could.  Once the feeling of being overwhelmed subsided, I realized the great view of nature that we had.  I started to appreciate the wonderful view of the lake and trees and the smell of the great outdoors...well, some of the smells.  Once we got set up, it was time to eat, which I love to do. I think I might of had 3 burgers, but that is not uncommon. It was soon time for bed...this was one part I did not look forward to...sleeping outside, on the ground and with only a thin layer of whatever tents are made of to protect us.  Reality...sleeping wasn't that bad...thanks to the air mattress; however, it did take some time to fall asleep, as I was definitely out of my comfort zone.

I have been very wordy to this point so now I will conclude as after I survived the first day/night I knew everything would be alright.  We had a great couple of days camping, boating and just hanging out.  Anything I do with Betsy is a blast and we are on the same page pretty much all of the time.  After this trip, I am definitely up for going again but next time my expectations will be in line with reality.  To all that know me...yes, I went camping. 


(Betsy): Scott did a great job summarizing our trip. We both learned a ton and have Lauren and Will to thank for teaching us so many great things about camping. If we had gone by ourselves, we would have brought minimal items like Scott mentioned-tent, clothes, marshmellows. Going with experienced campers made our trip relaxing and enjoyable. Here are a few pictures from the trip:


(Left): Scott hanging out in our tent that we helped put up and were oh so proud...

(Right): Scott and I hanging out at the campground.

(Right): The expert campers, Will and Lauren

2 comments:

  1. Besides the fact that I dont think "serious camping" includes the use of an air mattress :) I'm in love with this "list" idea and am excited to follow you on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the part "and whatever tents are made of" too funny! I like to camp but it has been awhile. Camp on!!!

    ReplyDelete